Saturday, March 12, 2011

Peas, Potty Training, and Other Stuff


This is really just a random post about the things that Enzo has been up to lately.  I feel neglectful to my mom, who hasn't seen Enzo since Christmas - and so doesn't get the see all of the fun stuff he's doing these days.  So some of this stuff may not be too exciting, but we enjoy it.


Peas:
Enzo's favorite things to eat are peas.  Sometimes, it's all we can get him to eat.  He even eats them frozen (which isn't surprising, since he likes to chew ice too.)
As you can see, he eats them by the handful - and then throws them all over the floor, which is what he does with a lot of his food these days. 

Potty Training:
You may be thinking, "Potty training all ready?  Isn't he too young?"  Maybe - he is only a little over  a year old.  But this kid sure picks up on things quickly.  We bought Enzo a potty in January - to help him get used to the idea of going in the potty - and avoid a power struggle over it during the terrible twos.  To him, it was just a new toy.  He first got to explore all of the cool parts and gadgets on it - and loved to put things inside of it, or push it around the house.
He loved the idea that he could sit on it and stand right up and walk without any help. 
But all the playing had to end as soon as he started using it for it's real purpose (for obvious reasons.) For a couple of months now, if I'm home at the right time and remember, I put him on the potty when he wakes up in the morning, or after a nap, or right before his bath.  We put it in the front room and give him toys to play with or Baby Einstein to watch to keep him entertained while he sits there.
 
And over half of the time, he goes in the potty.  Whenever he does, we cheer and clap and do a little dance, singing, "Enzo went pee in the potty, Enzo went pee in the potty."  Enzo has gotten to the point where he will sometimes sit down on the potty and start dancing or clapping for himself, even if he hasn't gone.  And the other day, when I was on the phone telling James that Enzo went pee in the potty again, Enzo heard me say potty and started doing the potty dance.  But the real exciting part of it all is that Enzo learned to say "potty" and has even told us a couple of times that he has to go (or is in the middle of going.)  Whenever I say potty, or put him on it, or sing his potty dance, I've been making the sign language sign for potty.  He still hasn't picked up the sign, but obviously there's no need, as he'd rather day the word.  I was amazed the first time he said it - so I hurried and put him on the potty - and he went!  It was so exciting!  He also likes to sit on the big potty every once in a while, so I'm glad we have one that can be used for both.
Other Stuff:

In addition to peas and pee, we do have other exciting stuff going on at our house.  Enzo is now a full-blown walker.  He doesn't crawl at all anymore, and has finally put his arms down and stopped walking like Frankenstein.  Here's the best I can get of him:

He's also a super talker.  He says almost thirty words, with his newest words being straw, silly,  and "gimme." He can say please, thank you, more, and sleep in sign language.  He can show you his tongue and belly almost anytime you ask, with other parts being hit and miss.  I've tried, but just can't get him to perform any of this on video.  He also loves to smile.  He smiles pretty freely, but if you ask, he gives the biggest cheesy grin (which is sometimes more like a grimace - but I love it!)

He likes to get into things, with the trash can being his favorite. He likes the baby wipes as well.
Enzo's a very social kid, and is only happy when he has someone to play with.  He loves Tuesdays when he gets to play with his cousin Calan.
If he doesn't have someone to play with, he follows Mom around and whines like a puppy dog until I let him "help".
I can't get ANYTHING done in the kitchen unless I put him in his favorite spot on the counter.

Othertimes, I lock him in the living room so I can get the house clean.
Enzo's all time favorite person has to be Daddy.  Whenever the phone rings, he says "Da-ey." If he's whining, a phone call to Daddy will make him stop.  If he goes outside to play with Mom, and Dad doesn't come too, he stands and calls for Daddy till he comes out.  If Dad hasn't come home from work yet, every car that we hear drive by is greeted with "Da-ey!" 
Although, when he's sad or hurt, it's usually Mommy that he wants to kiss it better.

1 comment: