We got to hold him for the first time when he was 9 days old, and we brought him home at 2 weeks old - along with oxygen tanks, feeding tubes, and heavy narcotics. Less than 4 months later, after worrying endlessly about a baby who wouldn't eat or gain any weight, he was admitted again for another emergency open heart surgery.
With all of that, the thought of doing it again had me scared to death. When talking about my pregnancy, labor, and delivery, I still say that there was not one good thing about the whole thing. I would hear about women who love being pregnant, or those who say how beautiful and wonderful giving birth was and I just wouldn't get it, because there wasn't anything good about it for me. The only thing that would ever make me consider having another baby was how totally and completely worth it it all was. Even with what I considered a crappy pregnancy, delivery, and all of the stress and heartache that came with having a heart baby, I can't even describe how much it was worth it. How Enzo was worth it all, and I would do it all again, and then some, just for him.
Only with knowing how much it was worth it was I able to think about having another one. I thought, I can try again one time, and if it isn't a million times better (from pregnancy to delivery and after), then I will be done. But I still wasn't ready. I was still scared to death. However, for the sake of health insurance and other reasons, the time came to think about having another baby. I reluctantly went off birth control, thinking that I had a while to come to terms with the idea, since it took us a year to get pregnant with Enzo. I was so not ready to get pregnant again that I actually got mad at James the one time he prayed for us to get pregnant. But James' one prayer must have been stronger than my fear, because what took us a year before took us about 2 months this time. I delayed taking a pregnancy test as long as possible, and when I finally did and the results were positive, I sort of just threw the test down on the counter...and went to bed crying.
Thankfully, this pregnancy has been a million times better than the first one. "Morning" sickness wasn't as severe and didn't last as long. I don't remember having a single moment of feeling good while being pregnant with Enzo, and I threw up clear till the end. This time, I have felt so much better - and have even had days where I didn't feel pregnant at all. But even though this pregnancy has been better, I couldn't shake the fear that I would have another sick baby.
Because of Enzo being born with a heart defect, I'm considered somewhat higher risk and get to have more tests. We had an early ultrasound with a specialist at around 16 weeks. The 1st ultrasound looked fine, but it was still too early to really tell much. The fear in me, however, was able to find something to worry about, in the picture they sent us home with of her little foot - with what looked clearly to me like 7 toes. I had just read about another baby born with an extra toe, which turned out to be part of a genetic defect that caused her to be blind. So I made sure to have the ultrasound tech spend extra time looking at out baby's feet when we had our 20 week ultrasound. Unfortunately, baby girl wasn't cooperative, and we were only able to get a clear shot of one foot. So, we may still have a baby born with an extra toe or two. But everything else looked good on the 20 week ultrasound. Of course, everything looked good on Enzo's 20 week ultrasound as well. I really felt that I wouldn't believe I had a healthy baby until she was born - and even then I'd probably ask them to double and triple check. (i.e. "Have you done a pulse ox test to check her sats?" "Does she look a little blue?" "Are you sure you don't need to do an echo, just to make sure?")
Yesterday, we were able to have our fetal echo. Having gone to the echo lab at primary's countless times, I didn't really even think about what I was doing enough to worry about it. Only this time, we were going without dragging Enzo along. We didn't have to make him go without food to be sedated, I didn't have to worry about him being grumpy from being hungry. I didn't have to worry about him holding still enough or about bringing toys and movies to entertain him. I just walked right in - and instead of putting a crying kid on the table, I sat down and had just another ultrasound. However, unlike a normal ultrasound, with a fetal echo they zoom right in to the baby's tiny heart. (Which, we were informed yesterday, is about the size of a thumbnail.) We had been told it would take 40 minutes to an hour, but we were done after about 20. When the tech left to talk to the doctor, James and I talked about our fear and how we worried about every little pause or sigh the tech had made while doing the echo. She came back after a minute and sent us into another room to wait to talk to the doctor. The doctor came in and told us that her heart looked....
PERFECT!
Of course, he had to do the disclaimer that there was still a possibility that, with a test like that, zoomed in so much on a heart so small, there could have been a small hole or something that they may have missed. But besides that, you couldn't have a better looking heart than hers. The tech had even said how "beautiful" her heart looked. She had held still and was in the perfect position for them to get a clearer picture of her heart than they can usually get in a fetal echo - and everything looks great. With Enzo's defect, none of his pulmonary veins connected back to his heart. So he specifically talked to us about the veins on the baby's heart. He said with a fetal echo, they are usually happy if they can even see one of the veins connecting to the heart, because they are so small and difficult to see in their location on the back side of the heart. But with our baby, they were able to see one vein connecting properly on EACH side of her heart. So that virtually rules out any possibility of her having TAPVR, Enzo's heart defect. (We had been told that his defect was not one that they would be able to detect on a fetal echo.)
Before yesterday, I would have said that no matter what they told me at the fetal echo, I wouldn't believe deep down that I had a healthy baby until I saw it for myself. A sick baby and hospital trips and surgeries was all I had known, and I was still expecting that I would have to do it again. The night before the fetal echo, I had dreams about holding a dying baby. Today, on the eve of Enzo's two year birthday, I am at peace - I actually believe that I might have a healthy baby. That I might get to hold her in my arms right after she's born. That I will get to feel her skin on my skin, right up close to me for as long as I want. I'm sure I will hold her extra long to make up for the time I missed with Enzo - it's something I still get sad about two years later.
Last week, as I watched my sister-in-law put my 3 month-old neice into pajamas, I stared at her little baby chest and realized that it was the first time I'd seen a little baby's chest without a scar since before Enzo was born. I've seen and held other babies, but have never seen their perfect little chest. I never got to see Enzo without his scar. I love Enzo's scar - and we teach him to love it and be proud of it too. It's proof of how blessed we are and how much our Father in Heaven loves us, and of how precious my little baby is. But now I can have confidence that I will soon hold another precious baby of my own in my arms, and stroke my finger down her perfect chest - a different kind of proof of our Heavenly Father's love.
:_) This is such a beautiful post. Thanks for being willing to share your experiences. We will keep you in our prayers!!
ReplyDeleteReading your blog made me love you even more than I already do. (which I didn't think was possible)
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you, James, and Enzo......
The post had me bawling my eyes out. I am so happy from you that it looks like your little girl will be healthy. I completly understand the worry about the pregnancy and having rough pregnancies. This was such a well written post. I am glad i found your blog.
ReplyDeleteUnlike you, I am not a writer, so all I have to say is, there are just no words to describe how I feel. I love you, James, and Enzo so much! Thank you for the example your family sets for me and especially for all you to to include me into your life!
ReplyDeleteLove, MOM
As the others have said so well written. I felt the emotion of this entry as you poured your soul out. I feel I can relate to some of the things you were saying considering my own stressful pregnancies. As soon as I had my first set of complications on my first pregnancy, I now truly understood how much pregnancy and the birth of a new baby is a miracle from our loving Heavenly Father. Every time I see a pregnancy woman or a new baby I think of how much we are loved from above.
ReplyDeleteOh Stephanie, I am crying tears of JOY for you! Heavenly Father answers prayers. He does not give us more then he knows we can handle. COngratulations again.
ReplyDeleteThanks for making me cry! That post was sooo beautiful and inspiring. You are a phenomenal person and I wish the BEST for you always. Being your friend (even if we may not see eachother often)makes me want to be a better person. Love you! Cant wait to meet your little princess!!!
ReplyDelete-Tania
beautifully written. I hope and pray that you will get to have a healthy baby. I hate comparing my story to yours, because I know you went through so much worse, but I was in a similar boat after having Wesley early, and having him in the NICU for a month, and not being able to hold him for a week after he was born. My delivery with him was also traumatizing, painful, and so sad. I still feel sad thinking about it, and I know how you feel. Its so hard to dream of a magical birth with a healthy baby, and have all those dreams and hopes torn from you. I can't wait to hear about this birth, and I hope it is amazing and wonderful, and that your little girl can be held in your arms all night! You deserve it!! :-)
ReplyDeleteStephanie, you inspire me! Not only are you a phenomenal writer, but an amazing mother. I miss you so much and cannot wait to see you and your two little angels.
ReplyDeleteCongrats and wishing you all the best.
-Tabassum